Society Star Parties
When is the next Star Party
This Saturday 19 November 2016 at Big Springs Park. Members who would like transportation please meet in the Astronomy Library (room N485 ESC) before 7:00pm.
What to Expect
- Lots of telescopes big and small
- Happy sounding silhouettes in the dark
Before you Arrive
- Dress warm and bring extra warm clothing
- Bring binoculars or a telescope if you want
- Grab a snack
- Find your significant other (because the stars are awfully romantic...)
Concerning the Cold
Cold weather is best for stargazing. Cold generally brings steady skies and really cold means no clouds! Even summer star parties get very cold! In general, dress twice as warm as you normally would dress for cold weather. Remember that you'll be outside for a couple of hours, so wear layers.
Tips for surviving frigid star parties
- Wear a winter hat
- Wear a coat (or multiple coats) that come below your buttocks and cinch up. This keeps cold air from coming up from beneath and helps you stay surprisingly warm
- Change clothes before coming - change even your underclothes. The slight perspiration from the day on these will make you cold despite any other measures you take.
- Don't wear cotton close to your skin, when you perspire cotton will make you colder. Synthetic fabrics and wool are your friends in cold weather!
- Wool socks.
Star Party Locations
Directions to Big Springs Park (40 19' 56.3" N; 111 31' 29.2" W):
Travel up Provo Canyon. Turn right at Vivian Park. Travel through Vivian park approximately 3.3 miles. Turn right into Big Springs Park. After we arrive we will put a Star Party sign so you know where to turn. Travel through the park to the upper parking lot.
Click here for a Google map of the site.
Other Dark Sky Sites
The Astronomical Society has a Google map of dark sky locations near Provo. See the link below for access. Also, please feel free to submit new locations.